The smallest of the churches in the Bartestree Cross Group lies in the hamlet of Weston Beggard, between the Ledbury and Worcester Roads. It is a very rural parish and this is reflected in the church’s position, tucked in between the farm buildings.
On the first Sunday each month there is a service of Holy Communion at 11am.
On the third Sunday each month there is a service of Evensong, which takes place at 6pm during the summer (Easter to Harvest) and 3.30pm in the winter.
Special services are held for the church festivals at Easter, Harvest and Christmas, and in addition we have a ‘Songs of Praise’ for our Patronal Festival—24th June—which is held on the closest Sunday.
We are a very sociable group and have regular events ranging from our own “Olympics” to Progressive Meals, and musical evenings.
Every month there is a ‘Coffee & Chat’ one weekday morning, generally the second Tuesday or Wednesday in the month—it varies so that different people are able to come along occasionally. There is no admission charge, and no “agenda” – just a chance to meet up, have a coffee and catch up on village matters informally. Everyone is welcome and we regularly have people from neighbouring villages along too.
There is an active group of Bellringers who ring both at Weston Beggard and Lugwardine, and make a cheerful sound to enliven many an occasion!
To contact us:
Please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and and we will be happy to arrange for you to look around the church.
Details of the current key holders are listed on the noticeboard in the church entrance.
Grid reference: SO5841
Postcode: HR1 4BN
Committees & Volunteers
No parish runs without a team of people to help, and Weston Beggard is no exception!
The PCC meets 4 times a year, and there is also a separate “fundraising” group to focus specifically on organizing social events. The emphasis is very much on the “Social” part and we hope to raise enough money to keep the church going in the process.
We intend to publish the agendas for forthcoming PCCs on this website and invite contributions/comments from residents.
A rota of cleaners/flower arrangers and churchyard mowers also help with the day-to-day upkeep, and we are always delighted to hear from anyone willing to take a turn with these tasks—it’s only a couple of times a year, so not too onerous! The annual Spring Clean and Churchyard tidy-up is “all hands on deck” and generally most enjoyable.
Extract from Post Office Directory of Herefordshire, 1863
Transcription by Barbara Haner © 2004
The church of St. John the Baptist, situated in a valley, is a pretty stone edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, porch, and square tower (supported by four substantial buttresses) containing 5 bells; in the interior is a gallery and a handsome Norman monument; also a decorated tomb to —- Begard, Esq. late lord of the manor, from whose family this parish derives the latter part of its name; in the churchyard is a yew tree, which was planted in the year of the Revolution, 1688. The living is an endowed vicarage, valued £130 yearly, with residence and 2½ acres of glebe land; in the patronage of the Dean and chapter of Hereford; the Rev. B.J. St. Patrick, B.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Henry Morgan, M.A., of St. Aidan’s College, Birkenhead, resident curate.
Here is a National school for boys and girls; the school- room and house adjoining were, by voluntary subscriptions and a grant of £50 from the National Education Society, erected upon land and with material given by the late Edward Thomas Foley, Esq., of Stoke Edith Park, in 1833. In this parish is an eminence called Shucknall Hill, from which a splendid view is obtained of the surrounding country. The population in 1861 was 372. The soil is red loam, and the subsoil marl and clay, and consists of 934 acres, which are applied to the growth of grain and other kinds of agricultural produce; hops grow most luxuriantly in this locality.